2021 – Riverland. All rights reserved.
Towards the end of the 19th century, the railway connecting Toxotes to Stavroupoli was constructed. It was a magnificent project of vital importance for the connection between Europe and the East. Multiple tunnels were created along the banks of river Nestos, as well as a beautiful stone trail along the river to facilitate the transportation of goods and people. This stone trail over the tunnels is ideal for a rejuvenating hike before we get into the tranquil waters of the river on our kayaks.
We meet at 9.00am at the Riverland base in Toxotes. The Nestos Gorge trail starts from the recreational area of Galani and continues along the river, either crossing through the breathtaking riverside forest or climbing up the carved rocks over the railway tunnels. After a two-hour hike with a short break in-between, we arrive close to the Kromniko railway station where our kayaks await. Our guide will provide us with all the necessary instructions for a safe ride, and after we enjoy a picnic there, we will head back to Toxotes following the calm flow of the river in our kayaks
We provide you with all the technical equipment
- Trekking poles (upon request)
- Paddles & kayaks: two-seater, open top kayaks – easy to control and navigate
- Waterproof barrels to store your belongings
- 50N river buoyancy aid (life jacket)
- In addition, we provide isothermal suits, socks, gloves and shoes (neoprene) as well as anoraks
You should have with you:
- Swimsuit or spare underwear
- Sunglasses with strap
- Summer footwear (water shoes, sandals or even flip-flops
- Adults: 50 euros
- Minimum total charge: 200 euros
For family packages and prices for larger groups, please fill in our inquiry form.
- Trained guides
- All necessary equipment
- Local transportation
- Light snack (picnic)
- Digital photos
- 24% VAT